You might have heard a lot of buzz about the radiation given off by electronic devices especially smartphones. And the most common technical term used in adjunct with radiation in smartphones is SAR value.
SAR is SPECIFIC ABSORPTION RATE (UNIT is watts/kg) which is the unit of measurement for the quantity of radio frequency (RF) energy that is absorbed by the body when using a cordless device (mobile, tablet, cordless phone, etc.)
So basically,higher the SAR rating,the more radiation is absorbed by the body tissue.
Usually SAR value is specified in the mobile catalogue or the user guide, else you can check it on the manufacturer’s website.
How to check SAR value??
You can check Radiation level in terms of SAR of your smartphone by dialing a USSD code *#07#.
You should remember that the SAR numbers are different for some countries.
In the USA, the maximum value is 1.6W/Kg but in the European Union it is 2W/Kg. check it twice before you draw conclusions.
Every smartphone on the market should meet international standards of SAR value so there is almost no chance you’ve bought a mobile phone which doesn’t meet those standards.
Please do understand the actual SAR value is usually lower than the maximum value indicated, as your mobile does not use more energy than is necessary to establish a connection with the network.
*Whenever possible, try to purchase a smartphone which has lower SAR value.
Some Precautionary Measures:
- If the signal strength is low, try to avoid making calls. Find a better location, the best ones are outdoors or close to the windows when you are inside the building.
- The best way to be protected from exposure to radiation is to use a headset while making calls or if possible use speakerphone.
- Keep phone calls shorter than 15 minutes and if possible text instead of calling.
- Your phone continues to emit radiation even when you are not making a call.
- One common practice is using one’s phone as an alarm clock or to keep the phone on the bedside table. Unfortunately, this places the phone in close proximity to the head, where the radiation will do the most damage. Airplane mode disconnects the phone from WiFi, but the phone is still emitting harmful magnetic fields from the battery. The best option is turning your phone off at night. If you must leave your cell phone on at night, keep your cell phone away from your head and body while you are sleeping.
- When making a call, wait for the call to connect before placing the phone next to the ear. The phone emits the most intense radiation during the initial connection, then lowers its power once a connection is established.
Check your phone’s SAR value now (by typing the USSD code *#07# on your smartphone) and comment them below.